- Special Needs
- SEN Information Report
- Our SEN Provision
- How we adapt the curriculum and learning environment for children & young people with SEND
How we adapt the curriculum and learning environment for children & young people with SEND
At Ludworth we adapt the curriculum and learning environment for pupils with SEND as we believe that inclusive education means supporting all pupils to learn, contribute and participate in all aspects of school life alongside their peers. Our curriculum includes, not only the formal requirements of the National Curriculum, but also a range of additional opportunities to enrich the experiences of our children. Our curriculum also includes the social aspects that are essential for life-long learning, personal growth and development of independence.
Some of the actions we may take to achieve this are:
- Modify the curriculum to meet individual needs.
- Ensure that teaching staff are aware of and sensitive to the needs of all pupils, teaching pupils in a way that is more appropriate to their needs.
- Breaking longer lessons into smaller parts to aid concentration and attention.
- Using visual resources to aid understanding of new concepts and key words.
- Additional adult support in class to reinforce the key information given by the class teacher.
- Home-school diaries to ensure parents know what has been taught each day, to share positive experiences or difficulties each day. Parents can then feedback how their child has been at home.
- Using visual timetables so children with SEND know what to expect.
- Using additional resources to overcome difficulties e.g. counting resources to use in Maths lessons, word mats in English etc.
- Differentiation used via learning materials and questioning in lessons.
- We provide ICT and Technology access.
- Staff will work with small groups throughout the day to help children catch-up and reinforce earlier learning.
- Make the curriculum fun and interesting.
- Use of rewards to show achievements.
- At Key Stage 2, we can apply to obtain access arrangements as appropriate for the SATs
More details on how we adapt information, our environment and curriculum can be found in the Accessibility Plan which you can find in the School Policies section of our website.